miércoles, 18 de noviembre de 2009

from one dirty hippie to another one

k, so... Yess was the only person that knew I was coming, and I was suppose to spend the first couple of nights in her van. But she didn't answer the phone when I called her from downtown the day I arrived. I called her three times between 6 pm and 9. And nothing. So I looked to the sky, which was covered by the ceiling of the mall cause I was inside in that rainy night, and I asked for an angel, then I went outside to hopefully find one. After one minute standing outside, washing my anxieties with the poring rain I saw Sam the quickest mind walking in front of me with a colt 45 in his hands. What up what up, I yelled to him. What are you doing here fuck, he said, come with me and drink this bottle of beer. And because I hate beer so much I said yes right away. While we were sharing our summer adventures and drinking beer under a little roof beside the library he mentioned that he was staying at the hostel, and for me that was the sign, so I went to the hostel and like a year ago I started in the same spot.

By morning I was doing housekeeping in the hostel and so I was able to stay there without paying any money, 'cause I didn't have. After my duties as a hostelmaid I started my "I want a real job mission", and in my first morning in Victoria I went to a job-search office, print a couple of resumes and wrote to Grujit, the guy I used to work for. And then the streets, wondering in downtown, looking for the music that made me fall in love with vic a year ago.

During that first week I ran into all of my old friends and had a couple of offers to crash in people couches. What are you doing in that shity hostel they said, come and stay with us. That made my heart ran like wild horses but I decided to keep living at the hostel cause I didn't want to bother anybody, and I was also proud of taking care of myself without that much help. My third morning in town started with a message for me in the front desk: chucho, call me right away, Grujit. I went back to my room took 50 cents, went outside and said hi to the sun, who was shinning despite what the weather forecast said: this weekend is going to be grey and wet. While I was looking for a phone to make the call I ran into the man himself, it was Grujit walking in the other side of the street. I can't believe this, I said to myself, and my teeth shined with the sunlight that was coloring the city. I started working that same day, I mean night, cleaning a restaurant that took me two hours to finish, and then I had all the day for me.

I quited my housekeeping job at the hostel after a week. In fact they forced me to quit because one morning I was five minutes late, so I said really? for five minutes? Fuck this shit, and I took one of my friends offers. Now I feel even more proud of myself. I'm at Alanas, who was one of my roommates in the twelve people house that I used to live. She's been like a mother since the first day. I wake up and sometimes I found an extra blanket in top of me, or little notes beside my pillow every now and then, saying that she is happy with me there... yeah yeah, chucho is so sweet, is because he also leaves notes for her, in the fridge, the door or the bed. He also sweeps, cleans the washroom and do the dishes and the bed. I guess that I'm still housekeeping, but this time I do it for someone that I love. cheers.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario