domingo, 13 de septiembre de 2009

raw food

Maria wrote again. Today I found in my mailbox a message from her, asking me if I was free this weekend to go out somewhere and have some tea, or coffee. But of course that I said yess, whenever you want. What do you think - I replied her - about making that delicious ginger and apple tea, the one that we drank at the solstice dinner? I knew that there is only one place where we can have that tea: apartment eleven, the home of Maria and David. Then David will be with us and with him there, will be harder for me to dream with a lifetime beside her.

The night I met Maria was the night of the winter solstice. I went to her place with Alexman, a kid from Montreal that I met the night before at the hostal. I was smoking outside with Marco, Dustin and Dain. Dustin was sharing a story about his drinking days in northern Alberta, in a town where only a hundred and fifty people live and they were able to do pretty much whatever. The three of us were listening to him while he was throwing kicks and punches to the air, trying to recreate a fight he got caught in because one of his boddies didn't like the way someone looked at him. In the mean time a cute girl walked beside us, eating a slice of hawaiian pizza. Then I heard my stomach yield: feed me, I want some ham and cheese! I got out of the conversation just by saying hungry, and went to my room to check the fridge. I found some bread, mayo and a can of tuna, conserved in water. I put all that in a plastic bag and went straight to the kitchen. There were like six people cooking in there, some food, not themselves. One of those six was Laura, a girl that I falled in love with since my second day there. Three piercings on her nose none on her ears. Her head was shaved on the sides and in the bottom she had long dreads. All that made her look like a warrior ready to go out and finish with the hunger in the streets. She was there just to give, to share, like that night. She was cooking a huge pot of soup made of veggies that she got in chinatown for free, and offering to everybody to seat with her and have a meal. I said no to the tuna and yess to the soup and bread, which I left on the table for everyone else. I went back to the room to put the mayo and the tuna back in the fridge and boom, there he was, Alexman. My heart was pumping blood like crazy through all my body 'cause I finally got a chance to know more about Laura, and because of that I had a big smile drawn on my face. I was happy and Alex saw that right away. Right away we became best friends. In one of those I asked him if he was hungry and invited him to come and join us for supper, veggie soup and bread. He said yess.

And that's how I met Alexman. During supper nothing happened with Laura, Alexman tooked all the attention by sharing his knowledge in raw food, and all this vegetarians that joined us were amazed listening to him as he kept talking and talking about some food that you always have to eat cold, uncooked. Don't get me wrong, I love cold pizza, specially for breakfast, but how do you say no to a juicy steak, or a homemade burger with cheese, onions, lettuce, tomatos and bacon... hungry.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario